The RAM 2500 Power Wagon is the only truck that comes standard with a winch from the factory.
With a 12,000 lb. capacity, the truck’s charging system powers a motor that winds the wire rope into a drum through planetary gear reduction.
Operating winches safely begins by first reading the complete owners’ manual, which includes suggestions such as having a “no people” zone, clearing connections and cable of debris, and wearing gloves to prevent metal splinters or rope burn.
To use the RAM 2500 Power Wagon:
1. Allow free spooling, by disengaging the clutch, which is located to the right and slightly behind the assembly. Pull down and to the left.
2. Free the attachment hook and pull out the cable.
3. Engage the clutch by moving back to the right and lock the cable in place.
4. Remove the winch controller cover and plug in the connector to the control box behind the bumper.
5. If winching from inside the vehicle, pass the remote through the window to avoid cable pinching.
6. Using the controller, slowly wind the wire rope until there is no slack. Push down on the joystick to pull cable in.
7. The manual also gives guidelines on dealing with low voltage trips and rope tensions.